premature announcement: speech bridge

as I mentioned earlier, I was working on a tool to bridge speech recognition from Windows VM to drive a Linux environment. I now have something good enough for plaintext dictation. You can find it on git-hub https://github.com/alsoeric/speechbridge

what I need to know is how to detect events such as focus changes, and currently active window and application. later on, it would be useful to know how to operate on text areas (searching, selecting region etc.).