Re: GTK3: Adding accessible-label to an image button

Hello,
On 23.10.2013 18:11, Piñeiro wrote:
               <object class="GtkToolButton" id="play-button">
                                           ^^^^

As far as I see, you are using a GtkToolButton but not a GtkButton.
Yes, you are right. I assume as far as accessibility is concerned both control may have similar if not equal characteristics. When I was saying button I assumed I will get universal reply correcting possible mistake I might have introduced.

Looking at the documentation [1], a tool buttton is a widget that
contains the button. In any case ...

                 <property name="use_action_appearance">False</property>
                 <property name="related_action">play-action</property>
                 <property name="visible">True</property>
                 <property name="can_focus">False</property>
... you are setting can_focus on this widget as False. Usually, when you
navigate through an application, Orca exposes the name of the widget
when that widget get the focus. So if in this case, the widget doesn't
get the focus, it doesn't matter if it have a proper name.

One thing that I would try is set can_focus to true.
Inside the UI xml definitions there is can_focus=false however this is then changed to true using the code. I can correctly focus the button I can also recognise it using flat review. I can only see it's a button but not its label or accessible-label.

Did you find those issues while working with a specific application or
are you creating a small test example?
I am currently playing with the cainteoir-gtk[1] application. However I am interested to know what I am doing wrong so I will be able to understand how accessibility is working at least to certain extend. I am in contact with its author and he joined my effortand tried to follow gnome accessibility guidelines adding tooltip, accessible-label and also accessible-descriptions to both the button and also its icon-witget however still I am unable to recognize that label nor description. Do you have more ideas? If you like you can see all the changes I am tallking about in its master branch.

[1] https://github.com/rhdunn/cainteoir-gtk

BR

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.10/GtkToolButton.html