Re: Can the community work with Gnome to improve GTK+ a11y?

On 1/5/12, Brian Nitz <brian nitz oracle com> wrote:
> In the case of Orca speech could there be an optional:
>
>     - Auditory cue (low volume double speed narration?) when keyboard
> navigation bypasses disabled widgets.
>
>     - Shifted mode which allows the user to traverse through and view
> the disabled widgets

A third possibility might be to read the focused menu item normally,
followed by the words "skipped unavailable menus " and the names of
the menu items that were skipped.  In the most common case, the user
is already aware that he may have skipped items, so with this solution
the user gets the information he needs as fast as he does today.
However, if the announced menu is not what was expected, he can wait
and hear if the one he wants was skipped.

I find it annoying in Windows to arrow down through unavailable menus
with NVDA.  It announces the name of the menu item, without mentioning
it's unavailable until the end.  Impatient users like me often press
enter while the menu item is being read, and in Windows you just
wonder why nothing happened.

I think there's an opportunity to improve over what's been done before.

Bill