Re: Can the community work with Gnome to improve GTK+ a11y?

I hope that it is okay for me to reply here as well. I am not a developer or anything..just an end user for the time being.

One example of these greyed out menus is in Totem. Under the Movie menu, two menu items are greyed out: Eject and Play/Pause. I use a screen magnifier at times, so the greyed out menus are visible to me, but I just observed with keyboard navigation and saw that, as I arrowed down through the menus, that the menu items mentioned before are completely skipped over.

From an end user perspective, especially in the case of more complex programs, it could be confusing and even frustrating to try to find a certain menu and for it to not be present.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that the greyed out menus are not so much a problem for sighted users, as they are able to see what options are available to them in a specific program. Blind individuals who primarily use screen readers, however, are kind of at a loss because they may be looking for a certain feature but would not know of its existence, especially if they are completely new to using a particular program.

I'm sorry for the rambling. I just wanted to ad in my two cents as I will very likely will not be able to use screen magnification at all in the future.

Thanks for reading, and I apologize if I should have just kept quiet.

Take care.