Re: Gnome3 and Vinux: Interaction is needed

On 04/29/2011 02:12 PM, Anthony Sales wrote:
Testing the classic Gnome desktop shouldn't be a problem, although I thought the priority was to test Gnome 3 - are there any major changes to the classic desktop - or is there just a possibility that the presence of  Gnome 3 might cause a few problems?
This classic GNOME is also GNOME 3. Some people, me included, feel that this "classic" is a bad name. It was chosen because some other people felt that "fallback" was despective.

"Classic GNOME" is basically GNOME 3 without GNOME Shell, but due all the changes on the core technologies, metacity, gnome panel, etc were also updated, to fulfill the new dependencies (ie: forget bonobo at all), so yes, the presence of GNOME 3 might cause some few problems.

In fact, using the testing distro allowed us to detect and fix some problem on the "Classic GNOME".

In summary: as "Classic GNOME" will be the fallback for people lacking hw acceleration and probably people looking for a better accessibility support, yes, it should be also tested.

Thanks.

From: gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org [gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org] on behalf of Piñeiro [apinheiro igalia com]
Sent: 29 April 2011 12:42
To: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org; superbisquit gmail com; vinux-support googlegroups com; vinux-development googlegroups com; vinux-documentation googlegroups com
Subject: Re: Gnome3 and Vinux: Interaction is needed

On 04/29/2011 02:02 AM, Anthony Sales wrote:
There should now be a few people from Vinux on the Gnome list - please let us know how we can help - although so far I have not been able to get Gnome 3 to work on any of my computers as a live CD - I have not tried to install it to hard drive yet though, which might allow me to install non-free video drivers and maybe then it will work. Once I am back in work I will be able to check the Gnome list everyday, but this isn't a list I generally visit at home as I am too busy with the vinux mailing list.
Just a brief comment, related to this "non-free video drivers".

Just to mention that GNOME 3 would include:

    * Default desktop: new interaction based on GNOME Shell, that
requires 3D hw acceleration
    * Classic desktop: basically 2.32 desktop, plus all the rest of the
changes. The purpose of this classic desktop is being the fallback for
people without hw acceleration and accessibility.

So, if your problem is just the non-free video drivers, it would be also
good to test the Classic GNOME desktop.

BR