Re: [Accessibility] Re: [Kde-accessibility] focus tracking

Hi,
On Fr, Jul 09, 2010 at 10:42:32 -0400, Joseph Scheuhammer wrote:
> On 07/07/10 7:54 PM, Jason White wrote:
> > Also, I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve. Magnification
> > relies on Orca now to provide focus details; what practical problem does this
> > introduce, and might there be other ways of solving it that don't involve
> > separating out code and functionality in the proposed way?
> >
	> The key phrase here is "Magnification relies on Orca now to provide
> focus details".  A longer term goal is to break that dependency.
> Already, GS-mag does not require Orca; GS-mag can run "stand-alone".
> One can do relatively simple changes to preferences such as
> magnification factor, cross hairs, mouse tracking modes, and viewport
> position, all without Orca.  But, it can't do anything as complicated as
> focus tracking.  At this point in its development, it's fine to rely on
> Orca for that, since there is more important intrinsic magnification
> functionality to implement (e.g., colour inversion).  But, requiring
> Orca for focus tracking strikes me as a relatively heavy-weight solution
> in the long term -- as a user, if all I want is to magnify the UI, but
> don't care about speech, nor braille, nor other screen reader functions,
> why should I have to launch Orca for decent keyboard access?

Well good question so far. If you want to remove orca dependency you
need to process the needed info from at-spi in your magnifier application directly.
This would end in writing an screenreader focused on magnification only.
Without at-spi support, your magnifier can't get the needed info about
cursorposition, mouseposition, other application specific details etc.
This means the magnifier must process infos from the a11y interface to
provide useful feedback.
The cursor tracking stuff is missing in the compiz ezoom plugin.
Unfortunately it is the best mag solution available.

HTH.
Halim