Re: Vetruvian icon on a locked screen

Hi

First of all, thanks for your replies and sorry that it took me so long to get back to you.

On 02/09/2010 04:50 PM, Willie Walker wrote:
I agree as well.  I can also imagine a shared machine much like the
one I have in my kitchen.  With this machine, there is a "switch
user" option on the locked screen that allows me to get access to my
account even if someone else has walked away from the machine without
logging out.  In this case, someone with a disability coming up to
the locked desktop would need some way to at least be able to
activate the "switch user" button to get to a new login screen.

So, a consistent a11y mechanism for the login screen, user desktop,
and screen lock seems like it would make a lot of sense.

For pointer-only users there is another situation besides login, desktop and a locked screen that should be considered, though I am not sure whether it is directly related to this: the situation, where an application goes fullscreen and requires some keyboard input to leave the fullscreen.

Is there some mechanism that an onscreen keyboard can use to remain visible also when an application goes fullscreen?

By the way, many thanks to Brian for telling me about about the possibility of embedding an onscreen keyboard to the gnome-screensaver. We were able to add that functionality to onboard before the feature freeze of Ubuntu lucid.

To come back to a consistent a11y mechanism for the various situations, I suppose that this could be a basis for another problem we already discussed a little: Carrying over ATs from GDM to GNOME session