Improving accessibility, release management, etc.

Steve Lee <steve fullmeasure co uk> wrote:

> Neither will be scalable or sustainable on their own. I'm not sure
> what the answer is either but it has to start with making the
> knowledge available or it just works (baked in). Automated testing may
> help.

In my view, user interface APIs need to be designed in such a way that
writing inaccessible applications is harder than writing accessible ones.
Obviously, having the access support (for Gnome, this means ATK/AT-SPI) built
into UI libraries helps in this respect.

I know there have been moves afoot in the free and open-source software
community to move toward higher-level programming languages and libraries for
application development; maybe this will provide an opportunity to design so
as to encourage good practices from the beginning.