RE: HFOSS Visual Audio

Hi Folks

Following on from Brian's postings about on screen notifications for the
deaf user, I wonder if this notifier could be changed to act as a useful
tool in the visual notifier space especially as they seem to be aiming to
get a number of apps to issue notifications properly?

Apologies if people are already aware.

=== New Notification ===

Thanks to the concerted efforts of Martin Pitt, Sebastien Bacher and
several others, notify-osd and several related components landed in
Jaunty last week. Notify-OSD handles both application notifications and
keyboard special keys like brightness and volume.

MPT has posted an overview of the conceptual framework for ?attention
management? at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDesignGuidelines,
which puts ephemeral notification into context as just one of several
distinct tools that applications can use when they don?t have the focus
but need to make users aware of something. That?s a draft, and when it?s
at 1.0 we?ll move it to a new site which will host design patterns on
Canonical.com.

There is also a detailed specification for our implementation of the
notification display agent, notify-osd, which can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD and which defines not only the
expected behavior of notify-osd but also all of the consequential
updates we need to make across the packages in main an universe to
ensure that those applications use notification and other techniques
consistently.

There are at least 35 apps that need tweaking, and there may well be
others! If you find an app that isn?t using notifications elegantly,
please add it to the notification design guidelines page, and if you
file a bug on the package, please tag it ?notifications? so we can track
these issues in a single consistent way.

Together with notify-osd, we?ve uploaded a new panel indicator which is
used to provide a way to respond to messaging events, such as email and
IRC pings. If someone IM?s you, then you should see an ephemeral
notification, and the messaging indicator will give you a way to respond
immediately. Same for email. Pidgin and Evolution are the primary
focuses of the work, over time we?ll broaden that to the full complement
of IM and email apps in the archive - patches welcome.

There will be rough patches. Apps which don?t comply with the
FreeDesktop.org spec and send actions on notifications even when the
display agent says it does not support them, will have their
notifications translated into alerts. Thanks very much to all involved!
And thanks to David Barth, Mirco Muller and Ted Gould who lead the
development of notify-osd and the related messaging indicator. There is
a screen shot at the link.

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/265

Ian