Re: GNOME Accessibility on by default, and Firefox

Jason White wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 05:22:35PM -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
>

>> Note that I'm not necessarily encouraging or supporting the current
>> you-get-it-or-you-don't behavior of GNOME.  I'd much prefer NOT to have
>> a gconf setting to enable accessibility, and I would prefer it to be a
>> bit more dynamic.  With the current architecture, I think we can get
>> *close* to this with some extra work.
>>

> To be clear, what I'm supporting is the proposal not to require a gconf
> setting to enable accessibility, without this resulting in
> performance-degrading events occurring when no assistive technology is active.

Hi.

I'm interpreting "gconf setting" as "user preference" here, but let's
keep in mind that we can set a gconf flag automatically (for example
from code in atspi, atk, or some bridge) based on platform events. e.g.
"gail_is_live, 1", or "accessibility_is_live, 1".  Is that an abuse of
gconf?

cheers,
David