Re: GNOME Accessibility on by default, and Firefox

On 10/24/2008 3:19 PM, Willie Walker wrote:
<snip>

BTW, I'm not sure about the details of what the Gecko
implementation does, but it would surprise me if it *always* loaded the
accessibility modules regardless of the gconf setting.
Afaik we do just use the gconf setting, which is the problem. Then we start creating accessible objects, firing extra events, doing extra processing for DOM mutations, lalala. What other check should we use before turning it on?

<snip>

> However, *something* needs to already be awake so that an assistive
> technology can discover the top level application object in the first > place. In Firefox, on Windows, the main system event loop is awake before a11y ever is.

Any time any app asks for even the root accessible object for a given window, that window receives a signal. This happens no matter what type of AT is doing the asking -- the "mostly looking at objects" or "mostly listening to events" doesn't effect anything. Either way, something in each AT is causing an accessible object to be requested even before we start firing a11y events.

- Aaron