Re: Another idea for Magnification

All,

Yes GNOME will ultimately have compositing like Compiz-Fusion and all this will be a moot point. As far as graphics capability, all my machines have been upgraded to graphics cards that easily handle Compiz-Fusion. My keyboard, a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard, and mouse, a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0, don't seem to work well with Compiz-Fusion. They work great with GNOME. This may just be a setup issue with Compiz-Fusion, but if it is, it's one that I've not overcome. I have to use an old IBM keyboard and a wired Logitech mouse to use Compiz-Fusion and even then it's only partially successful, e.g. I can't get the "Negative" plugin to see either keyboard.

Ultimately, if Metacity is going the way of compositing then it would probably be easier to port the Compiz-Fusion Magnifier plugin or at least use it as a model for GNOME. The downside, to the visually impaired user, of course is the wait. If I, and others who may be having some issues, can get Compiz-Fusion working then the wait shouldn't be that bad. If not, then I foresee a lot of tasks being done on my Windows box simply because it's so much easier (visually).

BTW, to the GNOME community at large and especially to all the people who have ever participated in making GNOME better I salute you and THANK you! GNOME has come a long way over the years and it shows. I don't take it or the effort you put into it for granted. Again thanks!

Richard Powell

JGJones wrote:
I agree with your points, we shouldn't need big powerful hardwares to provide accessibility.

However I felt I should point out that for low end machines sold today - ie with just Intel graphics - is more than capable of running Compiz Fusion very well without lag (the hardware requirements of Compiz is surprisingly low).

I've got a Macbook - which have Intel 945 graphics and it run Compiz Fusion smoothly.

However I can appericate your points about having the same thing without needing Compiz. However for Gnome - wasn't Metacity - the default window manager of Gnome was going to get compositing included which could help there?

Richard Powell wrote:
All,

I'm running Fedora 8 with the Compiz-Fusion 0.6.0-x packages. Unfortunately, I don't have the Magnifier plugin that you mention in Ubuntu. I was able to see a demo of this on a YouTube video and it appears to be exactly what I was describing.

I'm not suggesting a reinvention of the wheel or a duplication of effort but I would really love to see this same feature as part of GNOME. My reasons are primarily selfish in that I don't want to have to run Compiz-Fusion just to see my Linux desktop and partly non-selfish in that I don't see a need to have the same hardware requirements as Compiz-Fusion just for the visually impaired to be able to use a Linux box (easily).

Richard Powell

JGJones wrote:
Sound like you've used the basic zoom plugin - which is a bit rubbish to be blunt...as it only zoom into a specific area of desktop but doesn't move.

There are two plugins that's to do with magnification:

Advanced Desktop Zoom - like Desktop Zoom, but does move around with the mouse. However you see a part of the screen and so you'll have to move the mouse around to see more.

Magnifitor (this seem to be new as I had just upgraded to Ubuntu Hardy Heron and this shows up as an option now) - what this does is very similar to what someone mentioned earlier - compared to Windows' magnifior tool - once enabled, it shows a configuable window which moves with cursor around the screen. Inside this window (it have a black border around it) everything is magnified. Hope this description is clear - it's not like Windows in showing a fixed window at top of screen etc.