Re: Another idea for Magnification

Just wondering...

How is the Compiz's Zoom function for you? - I've mapped it to use the <Super> (Win) key and so while I press the Windows key, and then scroll the mouse wheel up - it'll zoom into around the cursor smoothly as much as you want and the screen moves around with the cursor.

You can zoom in and out as much as you wish anytime by pressing the assigned key and moving mousewheel up and down - this is actually the same as to how OSX does their zoom function.

Obviously your suggestion is ideal for someone that can't use Compiz for any reason though.

BUT the reason I suggest Compiz was that you could make use of extra features to help make things easier to see...for example I notice there's a Negative plugin (reverse colours on screen) which could help make things clear when it's needed etc and finally another plugin called ADD Helper - the purpose of this tool is to dim all other windows in the background so that the active window you are working on is the only one that's "lit up" and all others behind is dimmed. Switch to another window and that lights up and the previous will dim.

Am aware that Compiz is not Gnome...but a lot of function could make use of Compiz if supported no?

Richard Powell wrote:
All,

I've been using GNOME for almost 10 years now. In 2003 I became legally blind (visually impaired). Since that time I have had to use a combination of tricks to allow me to see the screen well enough to use it. These "tricks" have included low resolution display setting, large monitors, extremely large font sizing and the use of a hand held magnifier.

I've read through some of the discussions on this mailing list and it looks like the team members have some ambitious goals. I truly hope that these goals can and will be met. However, as a visually impaired GNOME user I know what would make GNOME much easier to use that I don't believe is nearly as ambitious. Microsoft introduced a feature with their mice a few years back that has solved my problem entirely on a Windows machine (which ironically is not as easy to setup for the visually impaired as GNOME). It's called "Magnify". Unlike Logitech's "Zoom" feature, which is little more than a button mapping to the text sizing function of applications such as Mozilla, "Magnify" actually pops up a magnification window around that mouse cursor. This window can be adjusted for size and magnification level by simple mouse controls. What this does for me and the other people that I have introduced to this, is it allows me to not have to change all my display and font settings and more importantly I no longer have to hold a magnifier in one hand while trying to use the computer with my other hand.

I'm not sure what the effort level would be for this kind of task. I do know however that this feature has been the most useful feature to me (as a visually impaired person) since the introduction of the mouse itself. This may be a simpler solution that would solve the same issues that you are currently wrestling with. It's application independent and it's extremely flexible to the user.

Richard Powell