Re: Another idea for Magnification

I agree with your points, we shouldn't need big powerful hardwares to provide accessibility.

However I felt I should point out that for low end machines sold today - ie with just Intel graphics - is more than capable of running Compiz Fusion very well without lag (the hardware requirements of Compiz is surprisingly low).

I've got a Macbook - which have Intel 945 graphics and it run Compiz Fusion smoothly.

However I can appericate your points about having the same thing without needing Compiz. However for Gnome - wasn't Metacity - the default window manager of Gnome was going to get compositing included which could help there?

Richard Powell wrote:
All,

I'm running Fedora 8 with the Compiz-Fusion 0.6.0-x packages. Unfortunately, I don't have the Magnifier plugin that you mention in Ubuntu. I was able to see a demo of this on a YouTube video and it appears to be exactly what I was describing.

I'm not suggesting a reinvention of the wheel or a duplication of effort but I would really love to see this same feature as part of GNOME. My reasons are primarily selfish in that I don't want to have to run Compiz-Fusion just to see my Linux desktop and partly non-selfish in that I don't see a need to have the same hardware requirements as Compiz-Fusion just for the visually impaired to be able to use a Linux box (easily).

Richard Powell

JGJones wrote:
Sound like you've used the basic zoom plugin - which is a bit rubbish to be blunt...as it only zoom into a specific area of desktop but doesn't move.

There are two plugins that's to do with magnification:

Advanced Desktop Zoom - like Desktop Zoom, but does move around with the mouse. However you see a part of the screen and so you'll have to move the mouse around to see more.

Magnifitor (this seem to be new as I had just upgraded to Ubuntu Hardy Heron and this shows up as an option now) - what this does is very similar to what someone mentioned earlier - compared to Windows' magnifior tool - once enabled, it shows a configuable window which moves with cursor around the screen. Inside this window (it have a black border around it) everything is magnified. Hope this description is clear - it's not like Windows in showing a fixed window at top of screen etc.