Re: Accessibilty module for colorblind people

Possibly some related resources:

Color deficiency simulator:

another simulator:

Color perception paper:

Color tool:

Example color contrast ratios:

Color blindness theory:

Study showing accessibility barriers:
(see Table 5 - all groups, except completly blind, identified poor color contrast as a problem.)

Study showing algorithm can predict which colors people find readable:

Color FAQ:

enjoy at will,

Bill Haneman wrote:
Hi Henrik:

<"What he said" >

You and Carlos put this very well. I agree with you both that this sounds like a great thing to add to gnome-mag.

By the way, Carlos has recently done some very nice work to enable fullscreen magnification without requiring two X screens, so based on this new work (still in bugzilla, but soon to be in cvs we hope), this could be done pretty elegantly at "1:1" without noticeably changing the user experience.

Best regards

p.s. - gnome-mag magnifies at '1x' if you run it with "-z1". To use this in fullscreen mode without changing your Xorg.conf will require Carlos' patch to

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Daniel Ruoso wrote:
I think that these filters could be implemented easily in gnome-mag.
Probably Bill and Willie can give more advices about it.
The question is that colorblindness filters aren't exactly related to
screen magnifier. I'm colorblind, but I don't need a screen magnifier.
Perhaps not in your case, but there is a lot of potential overlap. gnome-mag manipulates the screen image real time (and has a simple inverse mode) which the filters also do. I'm sure gnome-mag could be set to 'magnify' at 1x.

Some people would want to use both magnification and a filter. Separate implementations may still be the best option for technical reasons or to have simpler configuration of each. But in that case they should at least work well together.

gnome-accessibility-list mailing list
gnome-accessibility-list gnome org