a couple of things about openoffice writer

I have a couple of issues as regards Openoffice writer.
When I am creating a document, if I were to make a mistake and press the Backspace key to delete it it just says "Backspace." Is this problem anything to do with my version of Orca which is the one that comes with Edgy by default or the fact I need to update Openoffice on my Laptop as when I installed Edgy on it I didn't get chance to get the latest updates which it was asking for when I first installed Edgy. For some reason I can track what I am writing with the standard cursor keys and it is reading what I am typing.
Also how do you insert a date in a document?
In MS Word it is something like Insert Date yet there doesn't appear to be an option in Writer unless it is under some option which makes it a little obscure which is why I can't find it?