Re: gnome and support for the visually impaired

Hi Michael

The primary obstacle to support for gnucash is the fact that it uses the old, pre-2000 "version 1" of the GTK+ libraries, it has not been ported to gtk+ version 2. This means that it cannot take advantage of the accessibility support structure we have provided in Gnome 2. The most effective way to fix this would be to port gnucash to gtk+ 2, but this does not appear to be anywhere in the gnucash roadmap. The gnucash website is

http://www.gnucash.org/

For those of you who would like to use gnucash with assistive technology, perhaps it would be useful to send an email to the gnucash user list (I couldn't find a better email contact offhand); the URI for the gnucash user list is: http://www.gnucash.org/en/lists.phtml

Good luck

Bill

MICHAEL WEAVER wrote:

I am a newby to this list and will soon to be a newby to Linux when I install a Linux distro on my new laptop. I agree about support for Gnucash because that is one of the applications I hope to use when I migrate to Linux, Quicken for windows is no longer available in the UK and MS Money has no specific set files for it for Windoweyes so it is impossible to use without having to do a lot of reviewing with the WE cursor. Getting applications to work with speech has been something I have discussed with people at my Local Linux User Group.