Re: Mozilla - like JAWS or like Hal?

    JS> I don't see emacspeak development moving toward Speech
    JS> Dispatcher, even though that was the original AT for which
    JS> BrailleCom created Speech Dispatcher.

Actually, Speech Dispatcher was intended from the beginning as a common
speech synthesis layer, to avoid solving the same problem repeatedly in
different places.  Emacspeak was only the first environment we wanted to
use Speech Dispatcher with.

Unfortunately, Emacspeak is hard to hack for various reasons and its
design appeared to be very unsuitable for separation of the speech
synthesis problems (you may recall my talk at LSM 2003 about those
issues).  It was much more easier to write a new Emacs speech output
interface, speechd-el (http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd-el), which fits
the component architecture concepts much better and fully cooperates
with Speech Dispatcher.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
Free software is about freedom, not about free beer.  If you care only about
the latter, you'll end up with no freedom and no free beer.