Re: Now what?

Adam,
What version of gobject do you have?  You can find this in the gobject-2.0
file in pkgconfig directory.  Mine has a line like:
Version: 2.2.1
Possibly slackware built an earlier version.

On the question of synth choice, gnopernicus build .server files for each
possible supported synth.  If you remove or raname the ones you don't want
it may force gnopernicus to use the one you want.  The files are located
in:
$prefix/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Dectalk.server

Chris