Re: [g-a-devel] RFC: AtkText simplification (take 2)

On 06/24/2013 02:26 PM, Mario Sanchez Prada wrote:
[...]
So, taking into account that you are already working on this, I
assume that you would prefer to add the generic boundary now, in
order to avoid two updates of the implementation of those APIs.
Right?

Yes, that would be my preference. However, I just realized that the ATK
version bumped in WebKit has been recently raised to 2.8.0 and so I don't
think raising it again to 2.10 is something likely to happen in the short
term, so I'm afraid we'll have to coexist with the old API for a while
anyway (meaning that I will need to provide implementation for those methods
anyway in the patches I'm currently working on).

It's not that I prefer to do that now in order to avoid two updates
of
the implementation of those APIs, but just because I think it's
clearer and less confusing from the POV of the new API.

Ok, that is not a valid reason for you, but in any case you didn't
answer my question. So I will not add the reasons to the question, do
you (as one of the atk implementors) prefer to add the generic boundary
now (so probably for next ATK release) or not?

Yes.

Still, as I mention above, we will probably not be able to change WebKitGTK+
yet to match the new API because raising ATK dependency up to 2.10 will
probably not be a good idea right now.

Furthermore, I also think it should not be a big deal to have those
new boundaries co-exist with the old ones as long as it's clearly
stated in the documentation what is deprecated and what is not. Or
you
can use some kind of aliases like what Trevor is suggesting.

Well, it is just less clear, IMHO, having two enums that means the
same.

I understand your point, but I see it as a temporary evil while we move to
the new API, and not nothing too severe, since we would not be breaking
backward compatibility or the like, just preparing for the future.

Anyway I agree with Trevor suggestion (will answer him in short).

Me too.

Mario