Re: [g-a-devel] ATK and windows

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 13:04 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
>> The current AT-SPI architecture with its CORBA dependency
>> cannot be used by Qt applications for various technical reasons
>
> My understanding is that it's not technical, but more philosophical.

Indeed.

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 18:10 +0200, Olaf Schmidt wrote:

> b) use IA2 on top of D-Bus (even under Linux)

IAccessible2 is to compliment MSAA on Windows to make its accessibility
more like AT-SPI on Linux.  Conversely, IAccessible2 on Linux would be
missing MSAA functionality and unresolved COM versus dbus
mapping/migration.  In short, IA2 for Linux would cause regression.

http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/accessibility-ia2/2007-January/000143.html

> a) move AT-SPI to D-Bus
> Unfortunately no Gtk or GNOME developers are currently working on this.

We are waiting to see a full functioning AT-SPI with Dbus in KDE which
supports Qt, Gtk, Java, Eclipse, Firefox, Evolution, and OpenOffice and
works with Orca, LSR, at-poke, accerciser, gok, dasher, gnome-mag,
dogtail, and ldtp.  ;-)

> My hope is that we will be able to agree on a single
> accessibility architecture

Meritocracy is the golden rule.

Regarding Steve Lee's original post.  Yes, a GAIL to implement IA2-and-
MSAA over COM for Gtk on Windows would be great.  Gtk applications on
Windows could then be accessible via JAWS and other ATs.

--

George (gk4)