Re: [g-a-devel] How to indicate disabled state

I see what you're saying. It looks like it should be SENSITIVE. For example, let's take a GTK label. If it is not grayed, it is SENSITIVE.

Will

Peter Parente wrote:
In this case, the toolbar has the SENSITIVE state and is not grayed.

Good. Now, look at a Firefox paragraph or other element inside a
webpage that is not interactive and compare it with an element that is
interactive but currently grayed.

Pete

On 3/2/07, Willie Walker <William Walker sun com> wrote:
Thanks!  These help.  Let's focus on the SENSITIVE state as a means to
do what you want.  I verified all these examples using at-poke.

> 1) The user tabs to the Close button in the gedit settings dialog. In
> this case, we might say the name of the button, the role of the
> button, and the mnemonic for the button.

In this case, it is not grayed and it is SENSITIVE.

> 2) The user reviews to a grayed out menu item in gedit. In this case,
> we might say the name of the menu item, the role of the menu item, and
> the word "disabled" to indicate that the menu item is not currently
> active. We want to say "disabled" here to inform the user that this
> menu item could potentially become enabled for regular interaction by
> changing the state of the program (e.g. inserting some new text in a
> document enables the Save menu item).

Let's take the "Revert" menu item, which is grayed until you make
changes to a file that you've saved or read in.  The "Revert" menu item
doesn't have the SENSITIVE state until you make a change to the contents
on the screen.  As soon as you make a change, it gets the SENSITIVE
state and is ungrayed.

> 3) The user reviews to the toolbar in the gedit main window. In this
> case, we might say the text on the toolbar and its role. However, we
> do not want to say "disabled" because this the toolbar is never
> technically enabled for interaction. That is, we do not want the user
> thinking it could be enabled for interaction by changing the state of
> the program (e.g. nothing I do in the program will ever enable/disable
> the toolbar such that I can interact with it).

In this case, the toolbar has the SENSITIVE state and is not grayed.

Hope this helps, (and I'm sure you have some  "but, yeah, what about
this" questions ;-)),

Will