Re: [g-a-devel] How to indicate disabled state

Thanks! These help. Let's focus on the SENSITIVE state as a means to do what you want. I verified all these examples using at-poke.

1) The user tabs to the Close button in the gedit settings dialog. In
this case, we might say the name of the button, the role of the
button, and the mnemonic for the button.

In this case, it is not grayed and it is SENSITIVE.

2) The user reviews to a grayed out menu item in gedit. In this case,
we might say the name of the menu item, the role of the menu item, and
the word "disabled" to indicate that the menu item is not currently
active. We want to say "disabled" here to inform the user that this
menu item could potentially become enabled for regular interaction by
changing the state of the program (e.g. inserting some new text in a
document enables the Save menu item).

Let's take the "Revert" menu item, which is grayed until you make changes to a file that you've saved or read in. The "Revert" menu item doesn't have the SENSITIVE state until you make a change to the contents on the screen. As soon as you make a change, it gets the SENSITIVE state and is ungrayed.

3) The user reviews to the toolbar in the gedit main window. In this
case, we might say the text on the toolbar and its role. However, we
do not want to say "disabled" because this the toolbar is never
technically enabled for interaction. That is, we do not want the user
thinking it could be enabled for interaction by changing the state of
the program (e.g. nothing I do in the program will ever enable/disable
the toolbar such that I can interact with it).

In this case, the toolbar has the SENSITIVE state and is not grayed.

Hope this helps, (and I'm sure you have some "but, yeah, what about this" questions ;-)),

Will