Re: [g-a-devel]recent gnopernicus "Language" files and support

Hi Remus,

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 11:13, remus draica wrote:
> Let suppose that user is using gedit with english interface. He opens a
> document in german. If somehow gnopernicus can find that the document is in
> german, it will display characters on braille using german translation table
> and will ask speech to speak in german.

	Ah - I see; well - that makes sense, however I don't think that level
of semantic information is truly available, from GEdit or anywhere else.
I guess you could try and guess the language from the char-set coverage
in a section, and adapt the translation table with that. It doesn't seem
particularly good to me to be switching the language of the gnopernicus
semantic speech output to match that of a (potentially small) fragment
of eg. German text. It would seem more reasonable to me to choose 1
language for gnopernicus to speak in and stick with that.

> A more general idea is:
>   - gnopernicus is started with LANGUAGE=en
>   - one application is started with LANGUAGE = de and other with LANGUAGE = ro
> when gnopernicus read first application is nice to show on braille and to
> speak in german, and, for the second is nice to use romanian.

	Hmm; this is good for testing, however in reality the desktop tends to
be run in a mono-linguistic framework :-) this is because some programs
serve multiple clients concurrently, eg. an Image View control - and
it's not possible to use gettext in such a way that 1 view can be
translated into German and another into French, easily in the same
process. So that militates against using this sort of approach, since it
can never work _that_ well.

> If these scenarios are not realistic, please let me know.

	Well - it's possible; I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have the capability
inside gnopernicus, and a (new?) at-spi API to grab a remote
applications LANG settings. But that's not going to help for getting the
l10n of a sub-string chunk of utf-8 text, where the end application has
no idea it's in a different language.

	Either way, letting the user select the base language via gnopernicus
seems fairly futile to me, since gnopernicus should get that information
from the LANG setting - as does the rest of the desktop.

	At least as far as I can understand,

	HTH,