Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik sun com> writes:
> By the way - do we have to keep the panel as it stands now? Would it take
> more or less time to write a new panel providing the same (or nearly the
> same, we can do without some of whatit does initialy) functionality using
> gnome2 apis than port the present ... set of code (which just incidentaily
> likes to take loads and loads of memory during runtime).

My opinion is no, there is no way to get something good enough from
scratch by 2.0. Though I would believe that a sufficiently motivated
person with full-time dedication and the right kind of attitude could
do it, barely, there are few people that fit that description.  And to
the extent we have such people I think they could help more by running
around the whole desktop fixing things than by doing only the panel.

I'm really starting to think that we should replace huge chunks of the
UI for 2.2 (perhaps some chunks in intermediate releases such as
2.0.1), but we have _got_ to avoid that for 2.0 itself, IMHO.

So Stephen is right - we need a list of sub-tasks in each major
component, e.g. "get the pager/tasklist working again," and who is
doing them, and we need that list kept updated. Who owns this sort of
issue on the release team?

Havoc