Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: gnome-libs 2.0 API

Gediminas Paulauskas <menesis delfi lt> writes:
> I must mention Galeon. It does NOT use GnomeMDI, but uses multiple
> tabs/windows in it's own way. So Galeon hackers hould be contacted to
> know the reasons why they did not used GnomeMDI and what better solution
> they can suggest.

As a matter of record, we didn't use the GnomeMDI initially because it
was going to be tricky to port the original code over to it (that's
not a criticism of GnomeMDI though). We haven't moved over since for
two reasons:

  1. GnomeMDI expects you to be able to serialize the contents of a window.
     This isn't (easily) possible with GtkMozEmbed (the mozilla embedding
     widget).

  2. GnomeMDI doesn't allow multiple tabs in multiple windows. This is a
     pretty key feature (think for instance of doing most of your browsing
     in a single window but still allowing popups in a new window, or
     having different sessions on different desktops).

These things would need fixing for us to use any future framework.

Cheers,
Matt