Re: global proxy settings

> GConf is intended to be a solution for administering a lot of
> computers in a workgroup. So you can set up defaults, mandatory
> settings, etc.  and there's theoretically a tool (gconf-editor in CVS)
> that lets you do that. gconftool is already there as a primitive tool.

GConf might be a long term strategy to manage workgroups [1].  But quite
frankly I do not see this happening any time soon, you still have a lot
of legacy applications lying around and they will continue to be there
for a long time.

But in the end, my guess is that any serious attempt will try to
integrate LDAP at various levels in the system.  Its been done before,
and it is still a far shot from ideal.

[1] if you manage to convince every Unix application developer (or Red
Hat to ship a completely GConf-ized system)