Re: Extra Apps package list

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Jamin Philip Gray wrote:
> Also up for discussion:
>
> If you check out the releng website (http://gnome-releng.eazel.com/>,
> you'll notice that some of the packages that are up for discussion for
> inclusion in Gnome 1.4 core overlap with the suggestions for inclusion
> in the Extra Apps.  Where do these packages belong?  In particular:
>
> gedit,
> radioactive,
> gnomoku,
> gtm,
> dia, gnumeric, sodipodi, touxdoux, and other Gnome Office apps,
> gabber
>
> Let's come up with some solid reasoning for where these apps should
> belong.  Take the Gnome Office apps, for example.  Should these be in
> Gnome core, the Extra Apps, or some separate Gnome Office release?

Well, I vote for an extra GNOME Office release. So we have a clean
distinction between:

. GNOME Core (the desktop and main utilities/applications)
. GNOME Office (all the productivity/business applications)
. GNOME Extra Apps (all other applications, which doesn't belong to the
above categories)

Also we would have a good counterpart to KOffice.

> And one other final point for discussion.  We'd like to come up with a
> better name for the extra apps release than what we've been calling
> it.  Ideas?  Some suggesions we've had so far are:
>

> Gnome Plus Pack
We shouldn't be so lame and imitate Microsoft produkt names (ok, we do it
with "Office" already, but that is something different :-).

> Gnome "Goodies"
> Gnome Extra
> Gnome PowerApps
> Gnome 1.4-buddy