Re: extra app list (revision)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:44:03PM +0100, mathieu [ chaos chaos chaos since 79 ] wrote:
> - I really see a difference beetwen editing and viewing. A lightweight
> viewer can be a usefull tool for viewing a lot of differents images in a
> few seconds..
> About edition, I dont want - and dont know a person who want to - working
> with less-capable tools, when I can simply use the best, 'cos when I start
> editing, no matter what kind of work I want to do, its obsviously faster to
> use the best editor than another .
>
> I understand that you're not glad to hear this kind of stuff, sure... I
> dont makes me change my views. Gpaint is not a viewer, ok.. But it's not a
> complete editor. So ?
> So I dont think it would be an usefull addition to the extra-software, for
> now.

Just like it's faster to start a viewer rather then gimp to just view a few
images, it is faster to start gpaint and do a vrey quick edit.  (I'd assume,
I haven't seen gpaint beyond screenshots).

Gimp is very complex, for example sometimes look at the number of people
asking "how to draw straight lines".

Your other argument that we should have 0 duplication is also not so strong.
For one there has already been quite a lot of duplication, and many times
have we shipped a duplicate, sometimes in the same package even.

Doing "OneOfficialToolForDoingXYZ(tm)" is not the best way to do it.  I think
that what should be in the extra apps release should be governed by these
rules (more or less)

  1) It is a useful software to at least some people
  2) The extra-apps maintainers are willing to go through the work of putting
     it into the release
  3) There is a stable enough version available
  4) It is GNOME

I don't think adding "it doesn't overlap with anything" is a good idea to
add to that list.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>