RE: How are glom applications distributed?

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray Cumming
Sent: 16 March 2010 16:51
To: Stroobandt Serge
Cc: glom-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: How are glom applications distributed?

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 16:45 +0100, Stroobandt Serge wrote:
How are glom applications distributed?

Should I assume that you want all users to share the same database, not
copies of it?

Actually, I have both use cases.

Are they contained in the glom operator document file,

Ideally multiple users would all access the same .glom file. You could
give them copies of the file, but that would eventually be awkward if
the structure changes.

So, if I understand it correctly the user interface layout is contained in the .glom file.
From a maintenance perspective & IMHO, it would be better to limit .glom files to be a kind of key or pointer
to the database where the layout is stored.

This would still not be a web UI application -which I do not necessarily need-. However, changes to the user
interface layout would immediately propagate to the operator users.
So there you have again a good reason to store files in the DB ;-)

But don't worry; this takes not away from still considering glom as a quick application development platform.
However, on the long run, above suggestion is something that I really think should need to be considered.

Serge

or is this merely an access pointer to the database where then the web-application is stored?

There is not yet any web UI for glom files.

--
murrayc