Re: Can one populate a table via a Python-script button?

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:49 +0100, Stroobandt Serge wrote:
Hello,
I am a complete newbe to glom, however I am considering using it to
develop an application to store bibliographic data (nothing new)
linked to abstract selection criteria, critical appraisal outcome and
manual data extraction info.

One of the things I would like to do is to load an article reference
table automatically by using a Python script that converts the
bibliographic data file and loads it to the Postgres database, and do
this more than once. Would this be possible?

Yes, using the pygda API and some SQL. Unfortunately, like many Python
APIs, that's not really documented well.

But here's a little example:
http://library.gnome.org/users/glom/unstable/sec-calculated-fields.html.en#using-the-full-pygda-api

There are other examples in my "Repository Analyzer" Glom system:
http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/10/25/repository-analyzer-improvements/

Also, I would like to load PDFs to the database. Again would this be
possible? If I recall well there are only a limited number of
datatypes available.

Not really at the moment. I have thought of having some "file" or
"media" field though. Please file a bug to make sure that it happens.