Re: Compile Ver 1.13.9 on Ubuntu 9.10 - Karmic Koala

I'll try this again  Maybe this time you will accept the help in the
spirit that it's given.

You asked about installing the unstable 1.13 development release of Glom
on Ubuntu Karmic. But Ubuntu Karmic does not have the very latest
versions of GTK+, gtkmm, and libxml++. Even if you manage to install
those latest versions on Ubuntu Karmic, replacing the existing versions,
then your system would be broken.

You can easily try the stable 1.12 version of Glom as described on our
download page:
  http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download

If you really want to install Glom 1.13 from source code, jhbuild would
help you to do that
  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/jhbuild
It would still be very difficult, though the gnome-love team might help
you through it:
  http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLove
But you said "I'm new to Ubuntu, and compiling in Linux" so this would
certainly still be very difficult and frustrating. It's worth doing if
you want to learn about these things, but it's far more effort than it's
worth given that
a) you can just try the stable Glom 1.12 instead.
b) Ubuntu Lucid will soon be out, which will offer an easy upgrade from
Ubuntu Karmic, and we'll soon have a Glom 1.14 package out for Ubuntu
Lucid.

If that's not good enough for you then there's nothing I can do.