[Glade-users] glade-3 and GtkActionGroup

Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Ok, as I just said in another email, ui merging is just something we dont have
GTK+ wide, its GtkUIManager specific, GtkBuilder supports a round-about
way of loading menus via a uimanager object, currently from Glade though;
supporting GtkUIManager as a dual standard for building menus and toolbars
is just not worth it IMO just for the silly merge feature.

Out of curiousity, what is it that makes a menu merged with uimanager
better than a menu with actions of which some are hidden ?

I thought about reserving a few entries and hiding them.  Probably still
not a bad idea.  I don't know in advance how many entries I might need.
But there's a practical limit.  I wouldn't want the menu to get overly
large anyway. I get a list of all the physical dvd devices connected to
the system using GtkVolumeMonitor and add them to the file menu for
quick access.  The application is a video transcoder called HandBrake.