[Glade-users] Researching embedded linux graphics subsystems

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:41 PM, John Schimandle
<john_schimandle at hotmail.com> wrote:
I'm reasearching various graphics subsystems for an embedded linux
application on the Atmel at61sam9263 device. I had a recommendation to use
glade but the developer was not sure if the subsystem was sell suited to
embedded systems. I'm looking for feedback from the user community on a few
questions.

1. Is glade suitable for embedded systems?

Yes, I started working on glade 3 some 5 or 6 years ago because we
needed a way to integrate our custom gtk+ based toolkit into glade
(we were stuck using the old "custom_widget" hack to get our widgets
into the runtime).

Heres a screen shot of our jukebox interface being edited in glade:
http://www.gnome.org/~tvb/gladett-fullscreen.png

Now my memory is failing me, but I dont know what company its
called now, or who own them or what (so sue me :D), but the company
that was at one time PalmSource, had created a lightweight gtk+ based
toolkit and integrated that into glade, so they could use glade to
create interfaces for the handheld/cellphone.

Note in this case, they had written a binary compiler/interpreter to replace
libglade in the actual system, to avoid processing xml and the added dependancy
on libxml2, now that we have GtkBuilder, which uses a GMarkup parser,
this I assume would no longer be an issue.

2. Is glade still active? I see the last release of 3.0 was in 2006.

We are quite active yes, I completely skipped the last gnome release cycle
for one reason: GtkBuilder file format support - it was a requirement that
fell out of the sky and I had no choice but to prioritize on, and so
since I have
to do it myself - its taking a while - but I would say that from when I started
on builder support, I'm at about 85% ;-)