[Glade-users] Application Project - Gtk+/GNOME

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Aswathy <aswathyp1986 at gmail.com> wrote:

     ie for GNOME desktop, GNOME project is well suited than Gtk+ project.
Is that you mean?

GNOME is a Desktop Manager and Glade is a GUI Builder. GNOME is build using
GLADE and GTK+ Libraries.

Actually, we are developing an application for the OLPC. So I think it
uses GNOME environment, so will it better to use GNOME project rather than
Gtk+. But anyways we need to do the gtk+ programming,right. Or is there any
change in the coding part of GNOME project?

Its not using GNOME, OLPC is using XO-Sugar User Interface made using GTK
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar

  This is more important to me - Is the coding in GNOME project similar to
the Gtk+ project?

If you need to make a thing working for the OLPC, you have to make it using
the GTK libraries. The language that I suggest is Python as it is more
widely used with other developments.

    Yes, I know that. The callback functions need to be written by us.
Here I mean that the code for the GUI is generated by Glade itself.

You are designing a User Interface using Glade, and code in a language. If
you are using Python, its PyGTK what you need.
www.pygtk.org

So that is generated in C as per the widgets that are connected with some
signals & handlers no, ie what i mean, may be its not correct.....

For a software developed for OLPC, the best place to clarify your doubts
will be the sugar mailing list. (You need Sugar for testing the software for
OLPC : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Installing_Sugar)

WARNING :The opinions expressed above are yours. They are not necessarily
those of my employer or myself.
hiraneffects.blogspot.com | 91.9846951870 | IRC Nick/ Freenode :HFactor [ c
u @ #smc-project | #sugar | #python]