From: "John (J5) Palmieri" <johnp martianrock com>
To: "Tyson Lloyd Thwaites" <tysonlt webmedia com au>
Cc: <glade-users lists ximian com>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [Glade-users] Glade2 and gnomeui

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 22:26, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
Hi John,

Thank you, you have been more than useful. I had a feeling the gnome
palette
was only a line away!

re the X/Y, all us gui developers know they are eveil, but....sheesh,
sometimes I still like to use it. I guess I am still learning the GTK
layouts as opposed to Java, and sometimes I just cave in and use the
absolute layout. Sigh...
I'm not going to debate this :-) I have wanted to use X, Y layouts from
the beginning.  When I used to program in Java and hated how there was
no X, Y back in the day (I had to used Borland's own layout in JBuilder
1.0 and that was recomended only for prototyping).  All I can say is
that I have heard too many good arguments for why not to use X, Y
layouts and Gtk's layouts are dead simple compaired to Java.  If you
ever get the chance to read Havoc Pennington's thoughts on the subject,
do it.  He just makes sense.

Re the druid, the only problem I have is being forced into looking like
gnome. Sometimes I do not want those cute arrows and crosses on my
buttons.
This is themable.

I do not like the little strip down the side.
You can change the color.
I want the icon on the left,
What can I tell you?  You have the source.  Inherit from the Druid or
copy and paste it into something that fits your needs.

etc etc. Picky perhaps but that's how it is. Also, I wonder about the
performance of stuff that has been linked with gnome libraries; I may
speaking out of ignorance here
Gnome is fast for me.  If it is slow for you then perhaps it is because of
your video card or, from what I gather, the fact that you may be using
depricated functionality in your port to 2.0.  I have also heard people
find that RedHat feels a bit sluggish compaired to some other distros
for some reason, but that could all be FUD.

Linking to Gnome does incure some overhead that say linking to Xlib
would not, but in return you get a better, more consistent interface,
unicode throughout, antialiasing, and baseline A11y for free.  If you
are a Java developer you might want to check out ATK from IBM or
Java-GTK/Java-Gnome.  You can use gcj (the Gnu Compiler for Java) to get
native code Gtk+ apps from Java.

--
J5