[Glade-users] Glade2 and gnomeui

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 21:00, Tyson Lloyd Thwaites wrote:
Hi you lot,

I have just started on the road of C development (I do Java for a living),
and I have had success with glade, ligblade, and anjuta. I recently decided
I should probably upgrade my app to GTK2, glade2 etc. I can get my new app
to compile, however I have the following two problems:

1.    libglade doesn't seem to know what the 'x' and 'y' property of a
widget means anymore (I use a few absolute layouts)
X and Y are bad for most applications.  Not to say that it is
never useful but more often than not it leads to inconsistent UI.
GTK2 and Gnome2 strive for the consistency that GTK1 and Gnome1 lacked.
For X, Y layout I believe the GnomeCanvas widget is the prefered method
though don't quote me on that.  Check out the HIG for guidelines on
Gnome2 UI design (http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/).

2.    where has the gnome UI palette group gone?
Your project is most likely being read as a GTK project.  To change this
edit your .glade file in a text editor and add this after the <glade-interface> tag:
<requires lib="gnome"/>

I am using the stock Redhat 9 install. I see screenshots on the net of
Glade2 with gnome showing - how I do 'make it so'?

OTHERWISE: has anybody written an alternative to the gnome druid? That is
the only component I am actually using.
The Druid is still the way to do it.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

No problem. Hope I have been at least a little helpful.

--
J5