[Glade-users] Widget Grouping

Matthew: Oh, right, you want new functionality.  I thought you wanted to
know how to do something in Glade and GTK+.  My mistake.

How mass desensitising is handled by other GTK+ applications would
probably be of interest if you were going to add the feature to Glade
for us.

I think the critical part of the design would be how to implement it in
the Glade UI.  What would people think of an optional "group name"
attribute of each widget?  Or should it be in the pop-up menu, since it
isn't really a GTK+ widget attribute?

The internal implementation seems straightforward.  Setting the group
name might cause the interface.c code to register the widget with a
support.c function that tracks the membership of each group.  Are there
any other things apart from sensitivity for which groups of widgets
would be of benefit?  Mass hiding or deletion?

I still maintain that only a few users of Glade would need this feature.
I can think up many applications where it would be used if it were
available, but my limited knowledge judgement on the population without
doing any research still lets me conclude it would not be used.

Damon: I guess this is a feature request then, worth putting on the list
and discussing with the developers.  ;-)

Andrae: desensitising widgets in a container wasn't quite what Matthew
gave as an example, but it is good to know that widget sensitivity is
inherited.  Thanks.

--
James Cameron                                      (cameron stl dec com)

Not the Director of Titanic, but he had his name before I did.