[Glade-users] Glade questions.

Matthew Tuck wrote:

James Cameron wrote:

Basically the point is to define groups of things that you can disable
at once, especially menu items and stuff.  As far as I know GTK+
doesn't support this, my thought was that Glade could support groups,
and it could automatically generate functions to toggle groups en
masse.
Yes, GTK+ doesn't support this directly, nor does Glade.  Nor should
they, in my opinion.  It adds unnecessary complexity that only a few UI
designers would use.

I beg to differ.  A lot of applications would use this.  In fact, I have
much more trouble thinking of those that don't than those that do.

Consider a word processor.  What "modes" might there be?  Off the top of
my head:

Is the a selection?  If not, we want Cut and Copy (at least) to be
disabled.
Is the document empty?  If so, we want Find, Replace (at least) to be
disabled.
Are we in a table?  If not, disable the table stuff.

I could go on, but there's not much point.

The point here is that I believe it is easier to define within Glade the
condition when the widget is disabled on the widget (where it belongs)
than to try and maintain kludgy lists of widgets which you need to make
sure you update.

I don't think it would be easy to define the conditions for
de-sensitizing
widgets. I think this probably has to be done by the application.