[Glade-devel] Extension of a glade plugin & inner workings of glade

Hello, all,

I' ve tried to find my way through glade documentation, and I have a
hard time. My goal, in the end, is to create a new glade plugin myself,
something similar to a file dialog (i.e. a combinatin of several
internal widgets). Seeing the archives, I don't think I am the only one
having problems understanding the way the information flows between the
xml file parsing and the final program with all signals being connected
to their handlers. The documentation now is more like an API description
without any concepts behind it being explained, as well for glade as
well as for libglade. Not easy when one's new to even GTK (apart from a
couple of minor experiments in the past)

Let me therefor do an exercise. And elaborate my findings in a document
that I'll put available thereafter. That way, (I and) future 'basic'
users will have a better insight on to start with glade (and it's plugin
system); and people will have an example to refer to, something that's
badly missing currently to my feeling... This is all in the
understanding that there is no such document available yet. If there is
such a document available, then it's worthwhile adding a link to that
document from within the currently existing glade documentation ...

A couple of first questions :

1. In the properties window, in the tab 'Common', I see a property
called 'application paintable'. Grepping into the xml file and the code,
I see nowhere where that property's properties are fetched by glade. How
come ? Where am I missing a link ?

2. At glade execution time, what makes a toplevel widget really a
toplevel widget ? That is, why does one get a composable window when
clicking one of the toplevel buttons, but not when pressing the others ?
Is this distinction to be found in the xml file ? It's for sure not
solely (if at all) because they're part of a tag <glade-widget-group> ?

Should I rather ask such questions to glade-users ? I think glade users
are mostly all developers ?

Kind regards,

PhB