[Glade-devel] Why libxml2 and not GMarkupParser?

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 03:20, James Henstridge wrote:

GMarkupParser only accepts a small subset of valid XML files.  Is that
subset good enough?  Some of the things not supported include:

    * files in encodings other than UTF-8
    * entities other than >, < and &
    * anything related to DTDs ...

I wouldn't really miss any of these too much.

What limitations do other glade file consumers have?  What features do
glade file producers produce?

Libglade doesn't currently do all the processing it could (eg.
processing of the internal DTD subset, and expanding custom entities,
which some people have asked for), so I am not opposed to defining a
subset that glade files need to conform to in order to interoperate.

I just don't want to end up defining this subset as "what libglade accepts".

Another thing to remember is that GTK+ might like to include libglade at
some point, and they may not want to depend on libxml. So this patch may
be useful at that point. (Unless they already depend on libxml - I'm not
sure.)

Damon