[Glade-devel] Why libxml2 and not GMarkupParser?

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 17:26, Damon Chaplin wrote:

Another thing to remember is that GTK+ might like to include libglade at
some point, and they may not want to depend on libxml. So this patch may
be useful at that point. (Unless they already depend on libxml - I'm not
sure.)

If Gtk+-2.x already depended on libxml2, the whole patch would merely be an
academic exercise, wouldn't it? :-)

% ldd /usr/local/bin/xchat | sed -e 's/^\t*//' -e 's/=>.*$//' | sort
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libXft.so.2
libXi.so.6
libXrender.so.1
libatk-1.0.so.0
libc.so.6
libcrypto.so.0.9.7
libdl.so.2
libexpat.so.1
libfontconfig.so.1
libfreetype.so.6
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.so.0
libgmodule-2.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
libpango-1.0.so.0
libpangox-1.0.so.0
libpangoxft-1.0.so.0
libssl.so.0.9.7
libz.so.1

I don't know though whether the Gtk+ people are actually thinking about
including libglade itself, or if their intention is rather to re-write the
functionality libglade provides from scratch.  The document at

   http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.6/

talks about a "libglade equivalent", which sounds a bit ambiguous to me.

Cheers
-Tim