[Glade-devel] libglade usage

Hi Ishan,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:05:59 +0530, Ishan Chattopadhyaya wrote
Dear Dragon and Murray,
I've seen entirely too many suggestions on this list along
the lines
of "I don't use that feature so delete it."
[snip]
Just a thought... did you mean removing *source code
generation* in Glade-3 by this?

A truly useless and bad feature should be removed. If you disagree with
the
glade maintainers' ideas of what is bad and useless, then nothing stops
you
from maintaining glade code-generation as a separate module. If you will
not
do that then you don't care enough. If you can not do that, then you might
not be qualified to judge the issue.

I'm not so sure that source code generation as in glade-2 is
'useless' and a 'bad feature' as u put it. The point that I feel is
that if it's not upto the mark or not well maintained, efforts
should be made by somebody ( who is willing to spend time with it )
 to re-write the feature (as you mentioned).

I think that if code generation were the right solution, the whole GNOME
project would use it, but here's a list of disadvantages that mostly anyone
could quickly find:

- Could mix code with UI to the point of making things like HIG impossible to
be applied (every UI change could be a pain)
- the code generation would be bound to a single language, making harder to
people to colaborate in their favourite language. OTOH, there could be
language generators for every language that GTK+ supports, but that's IMHO
widely out of the objectives of glade
- Let's assume it, code generation never is perfect, it always generates code
that you don't mind/you'll don't use/you don't even care and will generate it
in some way that may be more hard to understand or even less pretty, that
decreases the code quality and sometimes would make it unmaitainable

Just a suggestion, why not output/generate code that is compatible with
LibGlade by default with glade2. And for the users who want better coding
styles/approaches can alwayz use ext. XML parsers. To put it in
another way, why not somebody makes a *good* source code generator
and that generator be bundled with forthcoming glade3 releases by default?

making a *good* code generator is not *easy*, and if people says about
deprecating it, I think that this is because they see many more disadvantages
than advantages for still working on this

When the GUI of glade can be be used for source generation, it's
more user friendly. Of course, people can always use the terminal
for that if they need. I think although it's the job of the IDEs to
generate code, why not keep the option to the users to use it as
standalone as in case of source generation?

I don't think in glade as an IDE, and anyways I'm pretty eskeptical to the
code generation shipped in some IDEs

The reason i feel a source generation option should be there is that
many times I (and maybe other users) might feel the need to
_quickly_ check the functionality of the interface in runtime.

I really think that it's more quickly to save the glade file and to run the
program that uses it through libglade, so no recompilation is needed to test
the UI, can be done with your favourite language, etcetera...

(after all glade is pretty much a rad tool). So, I don't feel it's
harmful for the users in any way to let them use what they want. But
since source code generation is a deprecated option, proper caution
(such as an alert box) can always be given to the user before he
uses such a feature (that is if such a feature is indeed
implemented/allowed to remain unaltered).

BTW, I don;t want to influence anyone's decision by saying all this,
but just letting the people know my thoughts on this.

me too :)

nothing stops you
from maintaining glade code-generation as a separate module. If you will
not
do that then you don't care enough. If you can not do that, then you might
not be qualified to judge the issue.
That's a *rubbish* assumption. There might be many users (glade-2)
out there who still use source code generation. Now if they want
that feature but don't want to maintain a new module for that, does
that mean that they dont care about such a feature? Not everybody
who cares can devote time to do that. And does it mean that people
who 'cannot' maintain such a project are not qualified to judge?
Acc. to me, the users are wise enough to judge what they need. But
even if they are not, they are free to suggest the people in the
decision making about what they feel.

Regds,
Ishan