[Glade-devel] libglade usage

Dear Dragon and Murray,
I've seen entirely too many suggestions on this list along
the lines
of "I don't use that feature so delete it."
[snip]
Just a thought... did you mean removing *source code
generation* in Glade-3 by this?

A truly useless and bad feature should be removed. If you disagree with
the
glade maintainers' ideas of what is bad and useless, then nothing stops
you
from maintaining glade code-generation as a separate module. If you will
not
do that then you don't care enough. If you can not do that, then you might
not be qualified to judge the issue.

I'm not so sure that source code generation as in glade-2 is 'useless' and a
'bad feature' as u put it. The point that I feel is that if it's not upto
the mark or not well maintained, efforts should be made by somebody ( who is
willing to spend time with it ) to re-write the feature (as you mentioned).

Just a suggestion, why not output/generate code that is compatible with
LibGlade by default with glade2. And for the users who want better coding
styles/approaches can alwayz use ext. XML parsers. To put it in another way,
why not somebody makes a *good* source code generator and that generator be
bundled with forthcoming glade3 releases by default?

When the GUI of glade can be be used for source generation, it's more user
friendly. Of course, people can always use the terminal for that if they
need. I think although it's the job of the IDEs to generate code, why not
keep the option to the users to use it as standalone as in case of source
generation?

The reason i feel a source generation option should be there is that many
times I (and maybe other users) might feel the need to _quickly_ check the
functionality of the interface in runtime. (after all glade is pretty much a
rad tool). So, I don't feel it's harmful for the users in any way to let
them use what they want. But since source code generation is a deprecated
option, proper caution (such as an alert box) can always be given to the
user before he uses such a feature (that is if such a feature is indeed
implemented/allowed to remain unaltered).

BTW, I don;t want to influence anyone's decision by saying all this, but
just letting the people know my thoughts on this.

nothing stops you
from maintaining glade code-generation as a separate module. If you will
not
do that then you don't care enough. If you can not do that, then you might
not be qualified to judge the issue.
That's a *rubbish* assumption. There might be many users (glade-2) out there
who still use source code generation. Now if they want that feature but
don't want to maintain a new module for that, does that mean that they dont
care about such a feature? Not everybody who cares can devote time to do
that. And does it mean that people who 'cannot' maintain such a project are
not qualified to judge? Acc. to me, the users are wise enough to judge what
they need. But even if they are not, they are free to suggest the people in
the decision making about what they feel.

Regds,
Ishan