Code generation in Glade3(was Re: [Glade-devel] libglade usage)

Hey

Well I don't know what he meant, but in glade-3, there will be no code
generation by default. It just spits out xml, thats all. No builtin support for
C code. Some people might argue why C, why not ruby, c++ and thats one of the
reasons (but not the main, useful one). Make it do one thing, generate XML
files representing a UI, and one thing good :D.

Code generators are supposed to be separate. And if I'm not
wrong, there was a C generator in glade 1 days, despite there being a builtin
C generator. So someone can hopefully revive that project if they want regular
C sources in glade-3 :-D. Also as one can see source generation is only useful
for newbies so they can learn a bit by reading the source. But I don't think
that it is a good thing since we also tell newbies to use libglade (which I
believe is better). Anyway on a personal note, I really despise the code
generated by the builtin C generator in glade-1 and glade-2.

For source generation I program driven by a simple to meduim complexity XSL
stylesheet should be good enough to generate output. I don't know the full
details on this method, but I know it can be done. If this works we could just
have xslt stylesheets for various languages with the small program in one
module (called something like glade2x or something :-) )

Conclusion:
Glade3 will not have source code generation builtin. Those who want that must
start the process of reviving old code generation projects for their
favourite languages (C, C++, Perl, Ruby, Java, Python).

Hope that helps in clearing out some confusion.

Archit Baweja

"Ishan Chattopadhyaya" <ishanchattopadhyaya hclinfinet com> writes:

Dragon master wrote:
<bitchmode>
I've seen entirely too many suggestions on this list along the lines of "I
don't use that feature so delete it."  Consider for a moment that Glade is
a tool used by many different people, representing numerous different
styles and techniques, and stop advocating removing features you don't
personally use.

There are multiple ways of doing most things.  Anybody who uses any flavor
of UNIX should know this.  Nor is the blind spot restricted to UNIX users.
People complain that certain Microsoft products have too many ways of
accomplishing things, and they're ignoring this principle as well.
Different people think differently and your applications should take this
into account, not merely at the developer level, but right out to the
userlevel.
 </bitchmode>
Just a thought... did you mean removing *source code generation* in Glade-3
by this?