[Glade-devel] Re-ordering the glade-3 palette

No, no :-) The widget layout in Glade is a n x m grid which is fixed.  I
can resize the window but the widgets stay in the n x m grid.  In the
new gimp tool palette when you stretch the dialog the widgets flow (like
word wrapping in a text editor).  If I stretch the dialog long enough I
can have all the tool widgets on one row.  If I do it the otherway they
can be in one column.  If I make it a square the tools show up in an n x
n grid configuration.  And so on.  I'm just thinking in the case someone
wants their IDE to be in a more Borland C++Builder interface where the
widgets are at the top as a tabbed toolbar as opposed to the current VB
layout Glade has.  It is also nicer since a user can adjust the palette
to match their spacial needs.

Oh ok, I get it now :-)

Yes, I agree it wold be pretty nice.

But AFAIK there isn't this kind of container widget in gtk+ yet. Adding
this kind of behaviour would mean the we do one of the following:
* depend on an additional lib (which one btw?)
* copy and paste the code from gimp or somewhere else

IMHO both are something we shouldn't do, at least right now.
1) we don't want other dependencies that gtk+ doesn't have.
2) the palette is ~300 lines of simple code while a copy&paste of this
new widget would alone be much more code and thus more bugs and
maintainance work.

So I think that we should follow the KISS rule and first focus on making
glade-3 really work. Once that is done we can look for this kind of
enancement; hopefully this kind of widget at some point will be included
in gtk+.

ciao
        paolo