Re: [Gimp-web] Proposal: gimp-web-revamp

I, for one, appreciate the effort to sit down and document these ideas.
Particularly to having a rudimentary look at the google trends data.

I think it's a great start, but there are some questions we should probably
address before getting too far down the design hole.

1. Can we extrapolate (anec-data is fine here I would think), what the top
three main purposes a person might land on the GIMP page for?  For
instance, if I were to guess it would probably be download, tutorials,
help.  Whatever the consensus may be, I would focus the design on answering
those top three reasons as prominently (and clearly) as possible.  I feel
this should be the first question we should be asking ourselves (and
answering).

2. The current site is already a static generated site mostly (entirely?
 still not sure how the news articles are created).  I don't mind moving to
other systems (I am building http://pixls.us in a similar vein using
node.js and metalsmith personally), but is it an option that makes the most
sense?  I'm just asking - my opinion is that it does make sense, and that
using markdown/YAML-front-matter is fine.  At the moment, contributing to
the site is a rather messy affair for anyone not comfortable with the
toolchain and environment (but once they are, it's a very simple effort and
not significantly harder than using an intermediate markup language).

In fact, a sub-question to this point would be: is there a method we can
achieve our goals while including a simple means for others to contribute?
I'm a fan of lowering the bar for contributing (technically), to help
increase possible throughput of good material.

3. Should this discussion also include possible migration and management
questions surrounding the registry?  It's a problem that will need to be
addressed at some point, as the current infrastructure is a bit creaky.

Your last point is well made about an in-depth analysis being needed.  Is
the ML the best place to kickstart the discussions and notes, or should we
open a page on the wiki? (I'm leaning towards prokoudine here for guidance).

I have more thoughts, but am currently sifting through a mountain of
correspondance, so apologies for  being short. :)

pat