Re: [Gimp-user] Canvas Size on Crop

Liam R E Quin writes:
On Wed, 2021-10-20 at 21:58 -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 01:36:15AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 19 October 2021 21:23:50 Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list
wrote:

It is just broken.  Everytime I use it it defaults to 62pts and it
refuses to change.

I think you are saying that gimp is not saving tool options on exit?

If so that's controlled by a setting in edit/preferences.

Well, sort of. But that setting doesn't work the way it used to,
and in some cases it doesn't work at all.

First, "Save Tool Options Now" used to save the active tool, as well
as the options for all the tools. Now it (both 2.10 and 2.99) always
saves the active tool at exit, even if you have "save tool options
at exit" un-checked and you've explicitly done a "save now" to set
the tool you want selected whenever you start gimp.

To see that, start with a fresh profile (rename your current one), then:

Start gimp.
Click on the Crop tool.
Edit-Preferences
  Tool Options
    Click Save Tool Options now.
    Un-check "Save tool options on exit" (in 2.99 it's un-checked
    by default, in 2.10 it's checked by default).
    Dismiss Preferences
Click on the Paintbrush tool.
Exit gimp.

Start gimp.
The active tool is now Paintbrush, not Crop.

With the gimp 2.10.22 from the Ubuntu repos, that I use for everyday
gimping, I've had worse problems, where actual tool options, like
the brush for Paintbrush and Fixed size or aspect for Crop, are also
saved on exit even when the preference isn't checked. But I haven't
been able to reproduce that with a fresh profile, or on 2.99, so
I suspect some some strange interaction it's having with my existing
configuration. That's why I never filed a bug on this even though
it's been annoying me for at least a year.

But the bit about not saving the active tool is reproducible with
both 2.10 and 2.99, so I should probably file a bug on that part.
In 2.8 and earlier 2.10 versions, the active tool was reliably saved
when you clicked "save tool options now", and was never saved at
exit if you un-checked the "save on exit" preference, and it's
hard to imagine that anyone who would un-check that preference
would want the active tool saved at exit.

        ...Akkana