Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp on M1 Macbook Air will not export in 300 dpi

Getting back on list again - please "Reply All" to make sure your replies
stay on the mailing list and not come just to me. :)

1. What exact steps are you taking for creating and exporting your image?
2. What site, exactly, is it that you are trying to use - I'm willing to
test uploading to them.
3. I have said nothing about the "inability of GIMP to export PNGs at 300
dpi ...".  Only that "dpi" is a term that makes no sense until it's
printing time.
    a. The only location of this type of data would be in the metadata of a
file.  PNG _does_ have a place for this, but I don't know how commonly it's
used.  I did test it by:

Testing
======

1. Create a new image in GIMP.  Choose whatever dimensions you want.  Use
"File -> New" and in the "Create a New Image" dialog that comes up, expand
the "Advanced Options" where you can set the metadata for the image for X/Y
Resolution.  I chose 300 pixels/inch.
2. Do stuff to the image.
3. Export the image as PNG.  After choosing a filename you'll get the
"Export Image as PNG" dialog to supply further options.  Make sure the
"Save ... (EXIF/XMP/IPTC Data)" are all checked.
4. I then run the image through `exiftool` to double check the metadata
gets written: Pixels Per Unit X: 11811 & Pixels Per Unit Y: 11811  (This
equates to 300 pixels per inch as pixels per meter I believe).

Can you please do all of those above steps one by one and then check that
you get the same thing?  Failing that, feel free to email me your exported
file and I can check the file on my end.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 5:12 PM Julie Barmazel Stiebritz <barmazel mac com>