Re: [Gimp-user] Orientations, Copyright Notices, metadata, and resized layers

On 10/2/20 5:10 PM, Ruben Safir wrote:
On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 12:23:18AM +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
On 02/10/2020 23:33, Ruben Safir wrote:
But AFAIK when Gimp edits an image, it removes the Exif Orientation
flag, so the image should be displayed with the default orientation,
Whatever it is doing it is doing it 100% wrong 100% of the time and I
have to go into the file with VIM and remove the exif.
No such problem for me, and again, there are free tools to remove EXIF
if necessary, for instance with ExifTool:

     exiftool -all= {file}

Or it can just be done correctly in the primary image manipulation tool,
within the Gimp

And somehow it is putting my name in there.  Is that really necessary as
if I don't have enough things tracking me the universe.

I don't think it is coming from my Cannon Camera.
Either your camera or you have entered a default comment. Create an
image from scratch with Gimp and see if it contains your name...

If you want, I can demonstrate this.  Remove the EXIF and it orients
correctly.

I just fixed
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/brooklyn/images/2020_09_fishing/bike.jpg

by MANUALLY removeing the EXIF data from near top of the file.
It was correct in the GIMP and sideway in most of the rest of the
world..most importantly in Firefox et al
You are not demonstrating anything, we need the before and after images.

I am aware of that.  I can demostrate it easily enough

Before =>
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/brooklyn/images/2020_09_fishing/IMG_4577.JPG

After =>
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/brooklyn/images/2020_09_fishing/IMG_4577.2.JPG

the EXIF needs to be fixed..

Thanks for posting the sample images.  Please excuse me but I don't understand what the problem is.  Is it the "After" image is _not_ supposed to appear 90-degrees rotated?  When I view the "After" image in Firefox (and Opera), it appears rotated 90-degrees.

Thanks!

Last, the exported image is what you see on the canvas, an dis the size
of the canvas. Out-of-canvas parts are automatically cropped on export,
there is no need to flatten the image first.

That is good.  But there is even less need for the crop to be broken
because someone doesn't know how to use CTL Z.

Crop is not broken... for most purposes (especially exporting the
result) it works as before. And if you set the "Delete cropped pixels"
option, just save your tool options to have it become a default for you.

This is doesn't exist in this gimp version, GIMP 2.10.

Actually, I finaly found it, under, of all place, dockable dialogs :(

BTW - what it does, in addition to just being annoying, is it
takes screen space.  It is broken.  It was working perectly.
This is not trivial word play.  It was working.  It cropped
perfectly, and now it leaves the canvas too large, produces
a confusing layer, takes up unecessary screen space, and fails
to actually crop because someone didn't know how to use CTL Z

This defines broken
http://www.nylxs.com/images/gimp_broken.jpg

If you don't like the frame of your crop then just CTL Z and recrop

Its not that hard.  Even a graphic artist can do it.